Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links casings removed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 15 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 15 oz Diced tomatoes undrained
- 9 oz Cheese tortellini
- 6 oz Baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons fresh basil minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender. Serve with cheese if desired.
- Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled soup in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary.
Borrowed from: Taste of Home
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!