Bulgur Salad with Cucumbers, Red Peppers, Chick Peas, Lemon and Dill
- 1 cup bulgur or light bulgur
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 small English or hothouse cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice from 1-2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil best quality such as Lucini or Colavita
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place the bulgur in a large bowl with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1-1/4 cups boiling water. Cover the bowl tightly with saran wrap and let sit for 25-30 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, to soften the bite of the raw onions, place them in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Let them sit for ten minutes, and then drain. (Feel free to skip this step if you don’t mind the taste of raw onions.) Combine the cooked bulgur with the red onions, remaining teaspoon of salt (I know it seems like a lot but the salad is bland without it) and all of the other ingredients. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, sugar or lemon if desired. Serve cold.
Source: once upon a chef
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!