Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 1.5 lbs lean sirloin steak about 4 steaks
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- fresh cracked pepper
- olive oil spray
- 2 cups shallots sliced about 4 small ones or 2 large ones
- 16 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp dijon
- 1 tbsp light butter I use Land ‘o Lakes
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- optional: egg noodles or pasta for serving also works with potatoes or veggie spirals
- Start off by slicing the beef into strips or chunks.
- Season the beef with the kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and garlic powder, and toss to coat evenly.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat, and then spray with olive oil spray.
- Sear the beef on both sides, for a total of 2-3 minutes. It will not cook through here; we are just looking for some color on the outside and to lock in flavor.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside on a plate to rest.
- Slice the mushrooms and shallots. Add more olive oil spray to the same pan, and add the mushrooms and shallots.
- Cook for 10 minutes, tossing frequently to prevent burning and sticking. Add more olive oil spray as needed.
- After 10 minutes, add the Worcestershire and Dijon to the cooked mushrooms and shallots, and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter and flour, and stir to coat, ensuring to break down the flour and incorporate it throughout the pan.
- Add the beef broth.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce for about five minutes, or until the sauce thickens from the flour.
- Stir in the sour cream and Greek yogurt.
- Return the cooked beef to the pan, along with any residual juices that collected in the dish as the beef rested. Cook for another 5 minutes for the flavors to combine and the beef to cook through a bit more.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning; add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley for a pop of color.
Source: Sweet, Savory, and Steph
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!