Creamy White Bean Lemon Pesto Orzo Soup
- dutch oven
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 4 shallots chopped
- 12 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 16 oz dry orzo pasta
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans white beans rinsed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 oz chopped kale
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- juice of 2 lemons
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and chili flakes and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil and stir in the orzo. Cook until golden, 1-3 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the beans and kale. Simmer 8-10 minutes until the orzo is al dente, stirring often (it should become creamy).
- Stir in the pesto, coconut milk, parmesan, and lemon, cook another few minutes until warmed through.
- Divide the orzo and broth among bowls and add additional parmesan and black pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!