Healthy Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- sesame seeds for garnish
- scallions for garnish
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized cubes.
- Toss the chicken breast with the corn starch, and add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
- Add cooking spray or olive oil spray to the frying pan and preheat over medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken on all sides (working in two batches) until golden on the outside (it will not be cooked through). Set aside on a plate.
- Combine the soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, brown sugar, unsweetened applesauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, chicken broth, minced garlic, and sriracha in a bowl.
- Add the chicken to the bottom of a slow cooker, and pour the sauce on top. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!